Thursday, June 28, 2007


Here's another site where you can pray to Inari. Note the wish-fulfilling jewel on the top of the post. Very phallo-vaginal. Vagino-phallic?
So I got to love Harry Potter in Japan, actually. The Japan Foundation had given me a buttload of money for my year of research, and my rent in Tsukuba was 10000 yen a month (about $75.00), so I went to the university bookstore and bought tons of books, including the Potter series. They saved my sanity, as I shivered in my cold little dorm room with no internet access. I was very, very lonely and homesick then and it was great to be able to escape. The Tsukuba public library and the Tsukuba cultural center also helped tremendously, since they had a lot of books in English as well. I was thinking about thanking J.K. Rowling and Diana Gabaldon (author of my favorite time-travel fantasy/romance series -- five books, 1000 pages each!)
Since I've been here, I've bought a novel by Terry Pratcheet (Thud! which takes place in Discworld) and one by Laura Lippman (mystery/suspense, set in Baltimore) and will probably read them over and over while I'm here. I'm almost through Thud! for the second time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home